Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Cat Declawing Banned in Los Angeles

Well, talk about being blindsided. While we were all worried about this sort of nonsense in San Francisco, Los Angeles City Council was busy behind the scenes, and without a breath of notice to affected parties such as veterinarians, plotting to outlaw a certain surgical procedure which, in my humble opinion, has saved more than a few cat's lives.

I've already expressed how I feel about meddling busybodies trying to interfere in the doctor-client-patient relationship. This has been a rare procedure at Cat's Meow Veterinary Clinic over the years. I think I have done one declaw in the past 12 months. I spend a lot of time trying to discourage it, but recognize that there are times when it is the most appropriate solution to a legitimate problem. The California Veterinary Medical Association agrees with my stand, as does the AVMA and AAFP.

So there you have it. Declaws are now illegal in the City of Los Angeles. If you don't like it, call your city councilperson to complain. And while you're at it, ask him or her why the hell Ventura Blvd is so full of potholes and cracks it is almost unsafe to drive sections of it at any speed. Or why they are backpedalling in violation of state law on medical marijuana.